Thursday, February 21, 2013

A note from an alumni


I love getting emails and updates from alumni....check out what Veronica is doing.  Please consider donating or at least sending her a letter/note of encouragement.  

From Veronica Thompson (BBHHS '12)

I've picked up a new project and I'm trying to spread the word about it. I thought you might be interested.

I've decided to shave head in support of children with cancer and in honor of the beautiful Conni Kata. I'm taking part in a huge public event at my school on March 14th, but in the meantime, I am trying to raise money for childhood cancer research in collaboration with the St. Baldrick's Foundation.

One of my main goals of the project is to make as many people as I can hear about this event so that it isn't just something that crazy Roni is doing in crazy New York. To accomplish this I've started a blog to share stories about my journey, Mama Kata, my fellow shavees, and, most importantly, the cause. You can follow my blog here http://bethebaldgirl.wordpress.com/ and read more about St. Baldrick's or make a donation here  http://www.stbaldricks.org/participants/mypage/597237/2013 (the page is also linked from the blog). 

Now here's where you come in. I have 24 days to raise as much money as I can and spread the cause to as many people as possible. I was wondering if you could send the word around to anyone you know who either knows me or might be touched by the struggle that these kids are going through. You can use my name in whatever way you see fit and I can always be reached at this address. I'd really appreciate it if you reached out to the team as well for me. I know that they're capable of spreading things around at an alarming rate when they want to. (:

Thank you so much for your support. This is simultaneously a terrifying and extremely exciting experience for me, but really the project is way bigger than the fate of my hair. I really hope that my gift can help inspire others to give to this fantastic organization and help find effective and safe treatments for the whole host of childhood cancers.